[dba-SQLServer]ODBC connection - Is this normal

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Wed Oct 8 01:57:01 CDT 2003

Tough discussion over, had this severall times over and over again.

People who don't know access always have trouble to see some things in
access..

Hard Core developers don't like access for serious development because
the result is quiet as good but fur for half to a 1/4 fourth even less
of the price.

Hard core developers don't like access because of their experiances with
access databases that are created by 'users' or not amateur developers
that do not develop in a proper multiuser way.
It is said that Access is multiuser by default, but that is not true, it
is true only when you are a "form developer" like regular users. When
you program in VBA you need to respect multiuser programming just like
any other languages.

In my + 10 years (?!) experiance with access (from version 1.0) if you
have an aaccess (MDB) not behaving like it should, its mostly because of
bad programming. Simple stuff like not killing objects or no error
control.

JET is a very powerfull database.
Microosft is unsing jet in W2K and WXP for own OS managment.
For example DHCP and DNS server are bith using JET to store their
information.
Don't forget Exchange Server also uses a modifed version of JET (at
least it did in 5.5 dont know for sure in 2K)....

The only corrupted databases I ever had in a 10 year of time is due to
the well known VBA bug when importing code.

When someone says that developing in C++ or whatever language is more
stable than Access.
I do believe him!
But that has nothing to do with the language but with the backend.
As soon as you seperate the crucial part of an database application, the
database on to a seperate and high performance server ofcourse your app
will run better...
Same thing for access. Splitting front end backend MDB is one step to
go.
But better is ADP and SQL server.Only then you compare apples wit
apples.
There is no mass user problem, as far as you have a mass multi user
problem.
Access MDB does not block with 6 users.
Than you have a badly developped app.

I have a 400MB MDB file with more than a 1M records that is both acccess
from the local network and from the internet (write and read)- 24 hours
a day for almost 4 years now.
I neaver had a crash or block on that...
But I did need to change my programming style over the years.

Most important change I needed to to, and what I beleive is a common
thing is to adapt my style to not do bulk operations.
Because of access is so fast, you tend to always use bulk operations
(like for generating reports and dooing stored-calculations-in table.
Those bulk operations tend to slow down my app over the years...
I took that in account and now develop in partial updates.

If it wasnt for Access a lot of SME companies wouldn't have any software
at all becase to expensive.

I even know a Movie Theatre Box Office ticket sales app in Germany that
uses Access as a front end.
IF you know something about ticket sales (with unique serial id on
each), in cinema's its a question of having 5 to 20 POS per cinema
getting hundreds and thousends of people in within 15 minutes of time...

No, I'm sory, Access may seem like a toy, It may be used as a toy by
many people, but there is a deeper side on access that a lot of people
never has seen...

Well some of those people are right in this mailing list....

(and I tend to include me in the last group)

Erwin