[dba-SQLServer]

Billy Pang tuxedo_man at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 12:47:23 CDT 2003

Hello:

Our IIS Server is logging website hits to SQL Server.  We are trying to
figure out best way to export certain records from this table into another
table every 5 minutes.  So far, we came up with two options:

1) in a separate table, store the ID of the last record in the IIS Log table
that was exported.  Every 5 minutes, export the records that are greater
than the last exported ID.

2) pick one of the columns in the log table to be the "Exported" flag
column.  After exporting a record from the log table, update that record as
exported.

We are leaning towards #2 but am unsure about any locking issues.  AKAIK,
IIS only inserts records into that table, never update.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Billy