[dba-SQLServer]Connecting to the server

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Oct 15 11:36:18 CDT 2003

I saw this problem before on a developer's machine who has added
everything under the sun to his machine, SP's, .NET and it's SP's etc,
etc.  For some reason connecting to the server by name (for example
MYSRVC) won't connect It is running Sql Server 2000 SP3.  the default
listening 1433 port has been modified.  on the other hand connecting to
a Sql7 server does not provide these side-effects.  I have over 30
workstations that connect to this same server w/o any side effects.  I
don't want them modified because I'm sure it'll create the same problems
like my Boss's pc and my co-worker's pc.

the total length of the the server name is 8 characters, no special or
otherwise non alpha characters at all. (i.e. MYAASRVC)