[dba-SQLServer]Is it just me?

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 22 12:17:50 CDT 2003

Hmmmm...

I will be running IIS, just haven't gotten around to re-installing it.

AFAIK I can't "roll it back" though.

I can just do a reinstall of Windows.  This is a clean install from last
weekend, nothing else but SQL Server installed yet.  I install the latest SP
just to avoid all the bajillions of files the Windows update wants to
install if you don't apply the service packs.  So is SP5 on the way to fix
the SP4 issues?  ;-)

<rant mode on>

>MR WindowsUpdate ;o)

I have never made any claim that SPs don't cause new problems, only that it
isn't generally worth my time to spend the weeks required to understand the
issues re what the fixes are, what gets broken, what gets fixed, whether the
fixed outweighs the broken etc.  My job is to write databases, not spend my
life researching SPs.

It seems ludicrous to me that a company the size of Microsoft would spend
their time fixing bugs, tell me that I should install the SPs so that
whatever bugs they have found and fixed are taken care of, then I either
refuse (and don't get the bugs fixed) or spend my life researching whether
or not to trust them.  Of course they screw up, so do I (VERY occasionally).
But I can't spend my time being paranoid that they have screwed something up
in fixing their original bugs or spend my life being paranoid that because I
haven't applied the bug fixes something nasty is going to happen.  With all
the nasty viruses floating around, it seems that applying service packs just
makes sense.  And I haven't seen ANY dire warnings not to apply any given
Win2K SP in all of the MANY EZines that I scan over the average week!

I really don't much care whether you apply the SPs, but having been in this
business as long as I have, I certainly expect MY customers to apply MY
service packs!  And if they refuse... it's on their heads.  Your head is
your business.  I'm applying the damned service packs!

And I truly get annoyed when it's implied that I'm being silly (or stupid)
in doing so.

<rant mode off>

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com