[dba-SQLServer] OLEDB

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil-users at mns.ru
Mon Apr 19 15:17:33 CDT 2004

Michael,

The company I work for now and where I use OLE DB with MSVC++ - they use
Crystal Reports to make a lot of very advanced reports: they exploit to
the max drill-down, multi pass reporting, multi-section etc. features of
Crystal reports - the results are amazingly powerful, very informative
and user-friendly reports... BTW, they use MS Access as a storage for
their reports data - with production data being processed and stored in
legacy Raima Data Manager DBMS... And using this architecture and
Crystal Reports as reporting tool they are able to have one very
advanced payroll application to work in desktop mode or in remote
Web-Site based mode etc.... (Crystal Reports Server is very smart  in
Web-site based reports browsing...)

I think that usage of OLE DB doesn't define what tool one will select to
use as a reporting tool - so the reporting tool can be also
ActiveReports and others...

But OLE DB used from C++ results in lightning fast data manipulation
procedures - e.g. I've here tested it and I've ~2000+ MS SQL 2000 stored
procedures used to insert, update and delete data from several tables -
all finished within 2 seconds...

I think such results can't be obtained when ADO is used with VB/MS
Access.

But such speedy results can be obtained when one will use ADO.NET with
C#/VB.NET and .NET Framework's System.Data.SqlClient namespace's
SqLConnection, SqlTransaction, SqlCommand etc. objects - they may even
be more speedy because as I've heard .NET uses native MS SQL 2000 data
access (drivers) called (?) TDS - Table Data Stream:

<<<
Native APIs are low-level APIs implemented with providers or drivers
that communicate directly to SQL Server using the Tabular Data Stream
(TDS) protocol. They are relatively complex APIs, but offer the best
performance because they have the least overhead.

(If anyone has any refs on articles about using TDS from (MSV)C++ they
are very welcome to send them to me! :))

As for reporting in general - it looks like MS SQL 2000 Reporting
Services is a coming killer technology for most of the currently
existing reporting tools:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/default.asp

And BTW, when reports aren't that complicated then using C#/VB.NET
System.Drawing.Printing and System.Drawing.* objects are not the worst
choice for custom reports....

Shamil