[dba-SQLServer] Re: Connection problems

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 14:21:43 CDT 2004

Charlotte,

>> I ran into something like this not long ago on my laptop.  I had to
remove and reinstall SQL Server 2000 (and restart the machine) *6* times
before I could finally register a server and create a new database.
When I had hard drive problems and moved to a new hard drive and WinXP
instead of Win2k, I was prepared for the worst, but SQL Server installed
and cooperated beautifully. <<

Hmmm. I installed EM as part of the Office XP Developer's edition. I have a SQL database on my own workstation that I can, of course, log into; and I have a SQL database on CrystalTech that I can get at with my EM installation. So I've got three servers registered. It's just this one that's giving me trouble.

Here's a question: Since the error message says that the default database can't be found, does that mean that the SQL Server role that includes this user account as a member is exposing this default (now non-existent) database? I have a feeling that that must be a naive question. But since I can't get at the roles or the user definitions, it doesn't matter if I'm naive or not, I guess.

I find it interesting that the connection string in the Access XP or Access 2000 ADP can include the name of the desired database, but that EM (apparently) cannot.

Steve Erbach