[dba-SQLServer] Using task manager to close SQL Server

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:25:17 CDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:56:21 -0400, John W. Colby
<jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> I am trying to add a "PK" autoincrement to this huge db I'm working with.
> There are around 6 million records at the moment.  I went in design view and
> added the field, then "saved" the table and it took off adding the new field
> and putting values in the table.  The problem is it is taking FOREVER
> (running for many hours so far) and is not giving any status indicator to
> say when it will be done.  I absolutely must "get back to work doing some
> stuff in the db.
>
> If I "close" enterprise manager in the middle, will it damage my db?  I am
> assuming not but don't want to take any chances.
>
> It appears that the reason it is taking so long is extensive use of the swap
> file.  Enterprise manager is currently using 421 mbytes on a 512m machine.
> I would go somewhere and buy some 512mb sticks if it will help (and it
> appears it will).

wow only 512 on such a huge db?... I have on my work machine 512mb
BUT, my test server has 1gb as does the production server... my home
pc also has 1gb of ram to help w/ any high memory intensive
applicaitons :)

I definatly recommend you buy as much as you want to spend, (ie, if
you can go for a full 1gb upgrade, do it, if you can take it to 2gb
then do it :)