[dba-SQLServer] Big db update

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:06:30 CDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:19:07 -0400, John W. Colby
<jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> I looked at Shrink which will reduce the current size by 30% according to
> EM.  It appears that the extra space is there for future expansion and
> seeing as I have a slew more files to import there is no point in doing so
> YET.
>
> I will keep you in mind for those hard questions about largish DBs!

You are becoming quite the VLDB expert :), one question I had for you,
on your log file settings do you have your db set to either BULK
Logged or SIMPLE, this will reduce the amount of records stored in the
transaction log while you are doing this "Massive" rollup.