[dba-SQLServer] Graphics in SQL Server table

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Dec 1 07:58:30 CST 2004

Jim,

I've done no performance testing yet. I made the decision to store the images in the db because I just couldn't face the prospect of having to manage thousands (potentially 10's of thousands) of images in the file system. I'll keep you lot posted on what I find as far as usability. These images are for an industrial therapy database and they show the typical stresses encountered during a factory job: lifting, manipulating, reaching, bending, etc. There will generally be 20 or so images per job description and I'm going to display them just one-at-a-time. Therefore the performance shouldn't be too bad.

I recommended GIFs to my client because of storage space considerations. GIF has the most compact requirement with only 256 colors, and the image quality isn't bad. That may sound funny but the original images are captured with a video camera and then frames are taken from the video. The video capture program only saves these images in Windows bitmap format, so they're about 1 MB each to start. I use IrfanView to "rescan" the images to shrink them to a standard size and convert them to GIFs for the db.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI