[dba-SQLServer] Difference between views and queries

Francis Harvey HARVEYF1 at WESTAT.com
Sun Jul 11 15:07:51 CDT 2004

Francisco,

This is almost scary, "terms that have nothing to do w/ SQL Server". I
don't know whether to feel pity or just despair. Seriously Francisco,
you've moved from accusing me of never posting my search terms despite
having requoted them in your own post, having had two initial reposts
and then a final third just for you, to classifying them as having
nothing to do with SQL Server. Seeing as how others have not had
any problem relating these concepts to SQL Server, I guess I will
just assume it's you.

Francisco, you still don't get the point of a straw man argument. Read
your own comments. As you say, my opinion on dynamic sql was made,

"w/o any backing and then expecting everyone else to look it up"

Exactly, up till that point, you could certainly accuse me of
laziness or making unsupported claims but not of distorting the
other side's position because I didn't bother to make any arguments
at all for either side. Your attempts to get me to defend your
pathetic example of a suitable sproc for dynamic sql certainly is a
straw man argument. I doubt you even felt that was the best example
for debate. If you did, well, hence the research suggestion.

Okay, I'll agree this latest example isn't a straw man example,
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/rmarda/whendynamics
qlisuseful_printversion.asp

although I don't agree with all the justifications either. However,
I know what my objections are and to be fair here is my reference
http://www.sommarskog.se/dynamic_sql.html, specifically, the
"Common Cases when to (Not) Use Dynamic SQL" sections that
correspond to each example. What do you find to be a far stretch
exactly? I myself am having trouble with example #1; I know
there is something wrong with it, but I am so used to having
Sommarskog's article to rely on for all the bad examples that I
can't quite get it yet. I guess I'd still be willing to defend
it, for now, but you have to be a little more specific with your
objections.

Francis R Harvey III
WB 303, (301)294-3952
harveyf1 at westat.com

in this basic argument (you may need a free registration w/ Sql Server
Central to read the article).
it is a far stretch just to justify the use of dynamic sql.
<snip>