[dba-SQLServer] Some quick install notes and warnings on SQL Express2005

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 17 15:16:10 CDT 2004

Two non-Crystal Reports or Accutate alternatives:
Latest version of crystal 9.0 is server based and consequentially pricey

1. ActiveReports (DataDynamics): VB people rave about this report
writer. The designer is incredibly intuititive (if you've used Access
you will be right at home in this designer). Imports Access Reports
Price $499 or $1299 Pro

http://www.datadynamics.com/Products/ProductOverview.aspx?Product=ARNET

2. XtraReports (DevExpress): This product is pretty new, and is still
rough around the edges, but it is less expensive than ActiveReports
(especially considering that you get an End User Designer with the basic
product, while you have to buy the Pro version of ActiveReports for the
same feature). I have found the designer not quite as nice/intuitive as
ActiveReports, but still very nice, and one can be productive with it
once getting the hang of how the product is put together.
Price $199 or $399 with source code

http://www.devexpress.com/?section=/products/NET/XtraReports