[dba-SQLServer] Difference between views and queries

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Jun 11 08:20:39 CDT 2004

On 10 Jun 2004 at 12:07, Jim Lawrence (AccessD) wrote:

> Hi John:
>
> Personally, I see little reason to run views as their creation is spawned at
> the server side and any hit on the server I try to avoid. The concept of
> distributive computing has always appealed to me. Queries, run at the client
> side.

But surely not when it means pulling unnecessary data and indexes across the
network. The whole point of server side computation is to reduce the network
traffic bottleneck.  I'd much rather let the server sort throuygh a million
rows and feed the workstation with a thousand, rather than pass all million
across the network and filter then client side.

> There might be better performance with views, if there are limited people
> accessing the server.

The more people hitting the server the better, you gain more from caching :-)

Views limit, not that the client can see it anyway,
> access to/display of the real table and present a pseudo table. Security?

That enhances security, not dimishes it.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg