[dba-SQLServer] Browsing tool?

Mackin, Christopher CMackin at quiznos.com
Thu Oct 7 12:17:10 CDT 2004

It's just a file that stores a connection string.  All you do is create a text file, then change the file extension from .txt to .udl.
Open it up and you'll see how you do it, it's self-explanatory.

In ADO you can use the .udl file as the connction string as an easy way to get the connection out in the filesystem so you can change it externally.  If you open the .udl in Notepad it will give you a Connection String you can use, but for what you want to do just open and test the connection and it will give you what you want.

-Chris