[dba-SQLServer] Problems registering database

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Oct 10 01:35:41 CDT 2004

OK, I really need to get my SQL Server on one machine registered on my other
machines so I can get some work done.

I have 5 computers I need to use.

I have the nVLDB database running on Neo2
I have SQL Server (client and server) running on Neo1, Soltek1, ColbyM6805
and soon on MaryDesktop.

I need to get as many computers as possible running against Neo2 doing
updates to the data in nVLDB.  The deal is that a single field in nVLDB has
a mishmash of data for the names of people, i.e. titles, first name, middle
name, last name, in any combination.  For my purposes all I really need is
the last complete word (name) from this mishmash.  I am not swift enough
with SQL Server and its built-in functions to find the position of the LAST
space (if any) but I do have code to find the FIRST space.  Thus my
objective is to pull out everything after the first space from the
EntireName field and save it in a LastName field, then on the second and
subsequent passes pull everything after the first space from the LastName
field and drop it back into the last name field.  Crude, but I have plenty
of horsepower if I can get all my computers banging away at this.

BTW, I ran (and timed) the "everything after the first space" query on Neo2
itself for a subset of 100,000 records and came up with about 10 hours to
perform the update query for 64 million records, directly by a single
machine.  Which means I could just do this if I have to by setting it to run
overnight.

I make a giant assumption that SQL Server can handle 4 different computers
all trying to update data in the same field but against a different set of
records?

Once that is finished, I will do essentially the same thing except against
the last name field itself, in order to get rid of middle names.  Thus this
will be an iterative process until eventually I am left with the last name
itself, in the last name field.

My problem here is that I can't get any other computer to register Neo2 SQL
server.  I always get a "login failed as guest".  Any help in getting around
this would be much appreciated.  Explicit step by step instructions would
help the most as I am by no stretch of the imagination fluent in SQL
Server-ese.

Thanks,

http://folding.stanford.edu/