[dba-SQLServer] sorting problem

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun Oct 31 14:44:53 CST 2004

I should have added to the preceding message that all this is necessary
only if the 6 values orginally supplied were just a sample. If they are
actually all the values that the column can contain, it's much simpler
just to create a new two-column table containing the values and their
desired order, expressed as an int. Then you could join said table to
the table of interest and order by the new table's second column.

The code I provided in the previous message can handle any number of
digits and any number of trailing characters.