[dba-SQLServer] VLDBs, the saga - Ramblings only

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 1 22:30:00 CDT 2004

Charlotte,

I intend to do some experiments and calculations.  What do you mean by
dimension tables?  Are you talking about what we call lookup tables, i.e. a
state table with a PK, replacing the state text with a FK relating back to
the lookup table?  I thought about this and can't decide whether the time to
perform the join on 65 million records would completely outweigh any
benefit.  I will have to index some of these fields in order to do the
slicing and dicing.  Any true / false from what I know don't benefit from
indexes since there are only two values.

Any suggestions for how to speed this up are welcome.