[dba-SQLServer] VLDBs, the saga - Ramblings only

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Sep 2 10:55:43 CDT 2004

Dimension tables hold the keys that allow you to slice and dice data
warehouse data.  It's a little hard to get your head around the first
time, but after that it makes perfect sense.  Time is a fairly
straightforward example.  Your dimension table would contain probably a
datetime field as the PK and for each date, it might also have a field
for  month number (overall), day number (overall), day in year, month in
year, year, etc.  Then you would join that table to each of the date
fields in your fact tables and you could easily filter out records for
the past 6 months or for dates in a range or where this date was 6
months earlier than that date.  It sounds ideal for the data you're
working with.  Russell Sinclair has several books out on datawarehousing
and I highly recommend them as primers.  They also include working
examples.

Charlotte Foust