[dba-SQLServer] Quotes in data part II

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Sep 5 20:31:40 CDT 2004

On 5 Sep 2004 at 20:37, John W. Colby wrote:

> I assume that the quotes are a valid strategy to allow commas to be embedded
> in the data, i.e. if the comma is inside a pair of quotes it is data, if it
> is outside, it is a field delimiter?
>
> Argh.  Sigh.  Beats head against sharp corner of filing cabinet.

Yep, it's a very common convention to quote all strings in CSV files. You
always need to check your data format and define the appropriate import
method before working with any text import method.

Even the Access Import text Wizard has a selection box for "Text Qualifier"
which offers the choice of double, single quotes or "~none~"

--
Stuart