[dba-SQLServer] Gigabit switch

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 8 14:39:49 CDT 2004

Francis,

The switch is a d-link dgs-1008d.  I didn't actually replace anything.  I
had a pair of wireless routers, one running 56mb only and one running 11mb
only.  I left them in place.  The dlink di-624 talks directly to the cable
modem, then directly feeds my tivo upstairs on a cable snaked through the
wall, plus a cable over to the switch (used to go to the 11mb router a
netgear mr814v2).  I moved the switch to directly behind the dlink and then
fed the rest of the system off of that.  Three computers go directly into
that switch, my two new machines which have a built in 1gb nic, and my old
machgine which has a 100mb nic.  No se what brand.  My old (now my wife's)
laptop runs wireless 11mb and my new laptop runs 56mb, each on different
routers.