[dba-SQLServer] Gigabit switch

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Wed Sep 8 22:34:37 CDT 2004

It depends on what type of recovery requirements you have:

* If you wish to restore to any 'point in time' then you should use the FULL
recovery model
* If you wish to restore to any 'point in time' except those transactions
that are not fully logged using BULK Recovery mode, use the BULK-LOGGED
recovery model
* If you wish to restore only to the times when you've run a Full Database
Backup, use the SIMPLE Recovery model.

If not already done so, I suggest downloading and reading the applicable
sections in 'Books On Line'.  It will explain it better than most of us can
(for once its actually a pretty decent Microsoft Reference!)

Recovery models & logging is an important aspect be understood in SS - It
would have decreased your import times if you'd used the SIMPLE recovery
model instead of BULK-LOGGED for example...

Cheers,