[dba-SQLServer] Opinions welcome

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Mon Sep 13 06:49:07 CDT 2004

I have a client who is contemplating installing an application in 28
sites over
an area of about 500 sq miles.  They initially consulted me to ask what
was
involved in doing the installs remotely...  At that stage they said to
me they
were going to install SQL in all 28 sites.  I asked for clarification
thinking they
surely only needed MSDE at each site otherwise the cost would have been
enormous (I know these people don't have that sort of money).

Anyway, I've just had a look at the db (installed @ my office) and
application
(you can tell its been upsized from Access, all those varchar(255)
fields).
They now want me to advise them on replicating the 28 db's back to their
central server!  I've had a look at the schema and there is no native
way to
split the data by site.

Do I
	1.  Run like hell  ;-)
	2.  Replicate back to 28 db's
	3.  Build a master db that can tell 1 site from another
	4.  Run the apps client/server

Can I
	1.  Append a site field to the replicated data?
	2.  Replicate the 28 --> 28 --> 1 (master)

I'm going to a meeting tomorrow and just wanted to see if I had missed
any
obvious options.

cheers

Michael M