[dba-SQLServer] File extensions

Mackin, Christopher CMackin at Quiznos.com
Tue Sep 14 08:59:12 CDT 2004

I forget what version this was added, but in Access XP you can do some of the database maintenance functions like baking up and restoring your database.  You could also very easily write the code to do so, I believe Arthur has developed a GUI using SQL DMO to provide a lot of functionality found in EM and more.  Additionally, you could back it up via code so there are many possibilities to Backup or Detach the database and restore it.

-Chris Mackin

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Michael
Maddison
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 6:46 AM
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [dba-SQLServer] File extensions

Yes and no ;-)

MSDE you just get the db and engine...
Full SQL Server you get the tools.
Sounds like msde, if they don't know what it is...
You should be able to connect to it using Access.adp?
When you choose connect it should list any SQL servers/MSDE's available.

cheers

Michael M

Thanks Michael. Taking it home may not be on. Whilst I have SQL server
theyy, as far as I know, just have a 3rd-party app that (I think) uses
SQL server as a BE. So they probabaly don't have EM or any tools. Would
that be right? If someone supplies a product using a SQL Server BE I'm
assuming they don't supply much more than the database and drivers.
--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk