[dba-SQLServer] Re: "Data dictionary"

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Thu Sep 23 10:57:03 CDT 2004

John,

Nothing that is free or cheap.  The company I work for
just dropped about 250,000 for a package to do something
like this.

Create a table to hold the data.
2 columns  ColumnName and COlumnValue and CountOfValue
then create a stored procedure with
a parameter of @ColumnName for input
create a SQL statement that will append the data into the table

BTW, you could also use this table for the zip code count also.
You will never be able to get good speed out of the other options
because of the size of your DB.  By running the SP and loading
the data into a reporting table, you will be able to get extremely
good performance for the reporting.

Also, the reason for the count of each value is because, from
my experience, they end up wanting to see how many of ones they
consider a problem exist in the data.

Robert