[dba-SQLServer] JOIN Issue with Databases

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Wed Sep 29 19:34:25 CDT 2004

Something like this... from BOL

The predicate in the following query is evaluated in collation
greek_ci_as because the right expression has the explicit label, which
takes precedence over the implicit label of the right expression:

SELECT *
FROM TestTab
WHERE GreekCol = LatinCol COLLATE greek_ci_as

Looks like a real PITA
We had issues with this once when for some unknown reason the default
collations on 2 of our servers where
out of whack.  We were lucky that we could blow 1 away and rebuild with
correct collation.

cheers

Michael M

Hi,

I've got 2 business applications that use SQL Server 2000 databases, one
is:
 COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_BIN
the other is:
 COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Trying to join data from tables in each database on a PO field
(Varchar(10)) results in the error:
Cannot resolve collation conflict for equal to operation.

Does anyone know a workaround for this?  The databases are required to
be Collated as is and I've tried modifying the join fields via Cast
INNER JOIN ({field} AS VarChar(10)) =  ({field} AS VarChar(10))

But this results in the same error.

Thanks,
Chris Mackin