[dba-SQLServer] New SQL Server Registration problem

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sat Apr 9 11:28:35 CDT 2005

If you want to explore the DMO library, you can write pretty much
anything you want. A while back I was commissioned by a colleague to
write a module that would do backups and restores to SQL Server. It was
a kind of weird situation in which CDs were mailed to clients regularly,
but the client might want to install a previous CD's database (i.e. last
year's, etc.) to re-run a report.

After mucking around in the DMO library for a while, I found it almost
absurdly easy to write. Given the number of lines of code in the app, my
colleague ended up paying me at the rate of about $200 a line. Actually
all the time went into investigating how to use DMO, but once I had a
handle on it, the rest was breathtakingly simple.

I also recommend TOAD. See www.toadsoft.com/downld.html. There's a free
version you can try out, as well as a commercial version with more
features. There are versions available for MS-SQL, Oracle and MySQL.