[dba-SQLServer] importing Access data

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 19 11:23:28 CDT 2005

I've got an existing SQL Server database and an Access database. The client
wants to dump the Access data into the SQL Sever database and dump the .mdb
file completely. This is a one-time job.

I figure I have two approaches:

1. We can clear a block of time to manually import the Access data. I'd be
working with a backup copy and they'd have to agree not to use the SQL
Server database while I was importing --
2. After reviewing the backup, I could write the necessary stored procedures
and let them run them to import the data themselves. That way, they wouldn't
have any downtime.

Any comments? Any other suggestions? I don't have to convert anything other
that Access datatypes that won't import as is -- any comments about that? I
don't anticipate much trouble outside of maybe having to dump some dates,
but I haven't reviewed the Access data yet, so that might not be necessary.

Susan H.