[dba-SQLServer] Nulls in sprocs

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Jan 12 10:28:12 CST 2005

Doris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using VB.NET and ASP.NET and ADO.NET and #$!@#%**#@&!?!.NET for my front end. I tried using the sproc in an ADO.NET Transaction to allow Commit/Rollback. That's what I ultimately want to do. For now I'm using the VB.NET ExecuteNonQuery() method just to get the data in the table updated.

My actual MAIN concern is with a couple of fields I have in another database that hold 1 for yes and 0 for no. These are radio button values. But if the answer is not known I'd like the value in the table to remain NULL. Of course, once a value IS selected, I don't have to worry about NULLs anymore because you can't set a radio button group back to nothing without code.

I just thought of something: what if I constructed the sproc in my VB.NET code and simply skipped past the NULLs so that I don't have to worry about trying to update a field with a NULL value? Since the sproc begins with 'CREATE PROCEDURE sprocname' all I'd have to do would be to create a temporary file name, perhaps, to which to save the "constructed" sproc, execute the Transaction set like I want to, and then delete the temporary sproc after completion. What about that?

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI