[dba-SQLServer] Calling a Webservice...

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:38:01 CDT 2005

In the middle of a design discussion for a system that is in development, it
was brought up if I could just call a webservice from a stored procedure.
That's my real question can it? Initially I figured that the website for
this system would take an order in, and submit the order to sql server, an
inhouse person would review the order and upon it's approval click the
approve button and allow the order to be submitted to the enterprise
database. Because the Sales Order number needs to be stored on the sql
server for refernce, I figured it would be easiest to have the inhouse
application call the stored procedure, and let the server go and talk to the
webservice and retreive the "Sales Order". If this cannot be done, then I'll
need to take all the data at the client side submit it and take the
resulting Sales Order and submit it to the sql server, giving it plenty of
room for errors due to network interuptions (rare I know, but sometimes not
quite)... Has anyone ever had to do this?

Thanks,

http://pcthis.blogspot.com |PC news with out the jargon!