[dba-SQLServer] Backing up

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 21 14:00:51 CDT 2005

Hi All:

This is a simple question I am asking.

For years when backing up MS SQL databases I have either relied on an
external automated server based backup system or backed up to a local tape
drive.

For the first time I was hoping to use the MS SQL backup system to backup to
a special large capacity drive on the network. When attempting to select the
appropriate backup device from the EM backup options there is only shown
'local' shares? How do I make a backup from the MS SQL that will backup to a
remote drive? (..and subsequently restoring.)

Am I missing something obvious?

TIA
Jim