[dba-SQLServer] SQL Procedures - Need some advice

Lavsa, Rich Rich_Lavsa at pghcorning.com
Wed Jul 27 13:45:16 CDT 2005

Background:
SQL 2000, have 2 procedures.  Both run fine on their own.
Next step is to execute them on a scheduled basis, however one needs to
run and finish before the other starts.

What I want to happen:
First procedure simply deletes all records in a DataMart table.  Second
procedure runs an insert query that pulls data out of many tables in our
ERP and denormalizes it into a single table structure for quick
processing (37 minute query)

Can I combine both procedures into one?  If so how, when I tried this
the second procedure disappeared.  I had the Delete statement followed
by GO, then the Insert statement followed by GO.  It seemed to save it,
but when I opened it back up it was gone (happened more then once).
Would it be easier to look for changes and only apply the changes and
new records, if so how would I go about doing this?  I didn't think this
would matter in my case as the table is strictly a reference table and
the 37 minute query will take 37 minutes to run no matter what.

Looking for some guidance as I am teaching myself all I can about MS SQL
SERVER.. I have done some simple procedures that only do Selects, no
cursors.  Did some dynamic sql stuff but that's about as deep as I have
gotten into Procedures so if anyone could help and excuse my ignorance I
would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Rich