[dba-SQLServer] Hello Again

Mark.Whittinghill at protective.com Mark.Whittinghill at protective.com
Wed Jul 27 14:00:16 CDT 2005

Billy,

  I see, sir, that you are mistaken.  You have the impression that I know
what I am doing :-)

I'll tell you how I got this job, but it may not be representative.  I saw
this advertised almost under the radar, so I wasn't competing against
monster.com or recruiting agencies.  I sent my resume, but they originally
refused to give me an interview, as most of my work was in Access, and
they didn't think I had the SQL Server experience.  I wrote back with a
two page defense of my abilities and the reasons I did most of my work in
Access, and they liked my perserverance and interviewed me.  I was able to
convince them that even though I didn't have data warehousing experience,
I had the abilities to learn quickly and would be a good addition to the
company.

I still know very little data warehousing theory, beyond knowing what
things like a star schema is.  I am still getting used to the tables here.
 Fortunately, I am being eased into this, and though I am being given
primary responsiblity for the data warehouse, there are others here with
experience to help.  On a very basic oversimplified level, you can think
of OLAP as just denormalizing and archiving your OLTP tables.  Previous to
this job, I didn't have much experience with large data sets, and I am
still getting used to the issues in working with those.  It helps that
much of the framework of the warehouse is already built.  As far as
building cubes, Cognos takes care of that itself.  One of the other
programmers here says I should learn the theory, but it's something I can
do over time and I'm not going to be handicapped in my day to day work
right now not knowing much OLAP theory.

Even though you don't have OLAP experience, you may also be able to find a
job in the field.  There's also a lot of theory for Relational dbs, but
how much of it do you use or even recall?  You may study a lot in the
beginning, but over time you just find yourself doing it.

Good luck.   Hope this helps.

dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com wrote on 07/27/2005 01:34:19
PM:

> Hi Mark:
>
> Welcome back.  I am hoping to make a similiar transition as you did
(going
> from OLTP to data warehousing).  Do you have any recommendations for
someone
> hoping to make the same transition? 99% of my work experience comes from

> OLTP; not sure how that can help me look for a job in the DW world.
>
> I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I am currently going through a few
books I
> bought on DW and data mining.  Some of the DW books I read (published in

> late 90s) I am not sure if the DW principles are still relevant today
since
> the introduction chapter would say something about how the DW market is
> still maturing (eg. the last paragraph of the introduction chapter in a
book
> called "the data warehouse toolkit").
>
> Billy

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error
and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of
it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you.