[dba-SQLServer] Tables in Other Databases

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Mon Mar 28 15:31:58 CST 2005

I recently purchased software from Red-Gate Software, including SQL
Compare, SQL Data Compare, and DTS Compare. Perhaps you were looking for
a free solution. I have tried to write same several times, with some
success but not bulletproof and also problematic. In the end I opted for
Red-Gate's solutions.

As it happens, I have three remote clients to whom I connect directly
using EM (i.e. I set up a new server, enter the IP -- which requires
that they set me up as a Windows user with appropriate permissions),
then I load and go. Red-Gate's software works superbly. I can connect to
Vancouver or Kingston or two sites in Toronto and compare the structs
and data with my local development copy. Typically, the case is that I
have made changes locally, while they have entered data into their
version of the db. Red-Gate handles both situations magnificently.

I have no relationship with Red-Gate except as a satisfied customer.
Compared to the hours I might have spent rolling my own version of their
stuff, the few hundred dollars and the instant download and install were
well worth the money.

To cite just one among many cool features, when you do a SQL Compare it
shows you the tables, sprocs and views that differ, in two windows. It's
like grep, showing you that two sprocs are identical except for these
three lines in db A as compared with db B. You can update in one
direction or both.

Splendid software. I don't say that often.

Arthur