[dba-SQLServer] Federated Databases

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri May 13 18:04:29 CDT 2005

On 13 May 2005 at 9:42, Elam, Debbie wrote:

> Has anyone tried using Microsoft's SQL add in: federated databases?  How
> stable is it?  Any quirks?  I have a customer asking about using it and I
> would like opinions on Microsoft.  If there is a superior 3rd party product
> please let me know about it any why it is superior too.

Doesn't look like an add-in to me.  It's just a technique for distribution
your data over several servers. Follow the link on that page to
"Partitioning data".

It just seems like a long winded way for Microsoft to say that Views made
up of UNION queries against identical tables in separate databases are
updateable in SQL Server 2000.

--
Stuart