[dba-SQLServer] Who Has adp/ade open?

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Mon Nov 28 17:49:24 CST 2005

Thanks Marty.  Perhaps some background will help.

The program is run as a runtime via terminal server.  There can be up
to 10-15 concurrent users at a time.
Part of my program uses the following line to copy a spreadsheet into a table:

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, , "dbo.ttmpTemporary", Me!txtDataFile

Sometimes this causes Access to crash (Access has encountered a
problem and needs to close ...).

In the past it has seemed to be caused by users having several copies
of the program open at once (they only need one copy but try to tell
them not to keep opening a new instance of the program but to use the
one they already have open :'( )  and then closing their terminal
server session down but not closing the databases first.

When the server is rebooted then the problem line works fine until
suddenly it decides to spit out the dummy again.

I do have Enterprise Manager and can see what users have the
connections to the database.  Part of the problem is that there are
three versions of the front end all connecting to the same SQL
database.  I was hoping to try to identify somehow what copies of the
front end were open to see if there are any patterns.

I am trying to a) find out if the user's work haboits are causing the
problem, or b) if it is some other problem, trying to find out what.

David