[dba-SQLServer] sql server 2005 database mirroring - how many copies of sql server?

Billy Pang tuxedo_man at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 21:57:40 CDT 2005

Hello:

I need someone to clarify database mirroring for me.  How many copies of sql
server do I need to configure a database mirroring session involving three
separate servers (that includes a witness server)?

The scenario is this: in the quorum, there are three servers: the principal
server, the mirror server and the witness server.  the principal server has
the original db; the mirror server has a copy of the db on principal server;
the witness server watches both the principal server and the mirror server.
If the principal server goes down, the witness automatically tells the
mirror server to take over as principal server, a process that takes 3
seconds.

To establish the mirror session for all three servers, according MS
eLearning course 2938, I perform the following:

For the principal server's participation in the quorum:
1) from the principal server, I run the alter database statement on the
original db

For the mirror server's participation in the quorum:
2) from the mirror server, I run the alter database statement on the mirror
db

For the witness server's participation in the quorum:
3) from the PRINCIPAL server, I run the alter database statement on the
original db

Given step 3), I can't tell if I need 2 or 3 copies of sql server (ie. do I
need a copy of sql server on the witness server?)  Am I missing something
here?

Thanks in advance,
Billy