[dba-SQLServer] International law question

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 20 02:54:43 CDT 2005

  Just some ramblings on European IP, but your UK answer is at bottom.

The U.S. has a“work made for hire” rule that confers authorship status
on employers for works prepared by employees in the scope of their
employment. This rule starkly contrasts with rules in Continental Europe
where, in deference to the cultural importance of authorship, employees
are treated as “authors” and therefore as the initial owners of
exclusive rights in works they produce.
Then differences get hairy very quickly. Europe and UK has moral rights
and redistribution rights that differ from country to country.
Personality rights – authors' rights in Germany, where the publisher is
considered to enjoy a "personal right" to speak in the name of the author
Equitable remuneration – inalienable right to additional payment in
return for giving up certain types of right (such as the "rental right")
in relation to sound recordings or films These don't exist in US.

The UK and I think Denmark have similar work for hire rules as the US.

Other oddities, are one I remember vaguely a US company hires a Russian
company with full agreement of "work for hire"
The US side defaults on payment after paying only 10%, the Russian firm
completes the project hoping to resolve
the payment. Still no payment but the US firm still holds the legal
copyright. as it is deemed to transfer copyright at the beginning.
The Russsian company can sue to regain copyright in US but it would be
cheaper to buy it back from US firm.

Your contract should stipulate which countries laws have jurisdiction if
a disagreement Generally it is not in the enforcing
parties country..

Public domain doesn't exist in UK, you can't give away a copyright.

Moral Rights vary all over europe and may not apply to computer code
They cannot be transfered.

They are generaly
To be identified as the author;
To object to derogatory treatment of the work;
Very limited right of privacy (photographs and films); and
Not to have a work falsely attributed to oneself

Moral rights may allow you to invoke, if an employed or commissioned author
who has good reason to believe that his work has been insufficiently
tested,
his "droit de divulgation" which should be
used to prevent premature delivery to unsuspecting customers. Personal
liability for a defective software package should complement this moral
right as
a moral obligation.

In the UK I think you have to explicitly assign the copyright in writing
, with some exceptions to
Crown copyright, generally this would be done in an employment contract.

Ahh I knew I would find it somewhere, I couldn't remember the difference
in copyright
between work for hire and commisioned works for the UK.
For commisioned works and no designation or assignation of rights in UK,
there is an implied licence of fair use.
to the commissioner but doesn't allow resale. Creator retains copyright.

Who owns copyright in a commissioned work? UK
http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/std/faq/copyright/commiss_work.htm

If you need a Canadian lawyer UK trained in IP law , I can pass you
along an Email address.