[dba-SQLServer] Backing up databases

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:35:31 CDT 2005

My backup procedure consist of doing a full db backup and copying the .bak
file over to my test server and development servers the command for backing
up looks like this
full backup:
BACKUP DATABASE [myLGdb] TO [DB_Full_DBbk] WITH INIT , NAME = N'DB FULL DB
bkup', NOSKIP

Diff backup:
BACKUP DATABASE [myLGdb] TO [DB_DIFF_bk] WITH INIT , DIFFERENTIAL , NAME =
N'DB DIFF', NOSKIP

RESTORE sequence:
RESTORE DATABASE devREDe FROM DISK = 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\DB.bak' WITH STANDBY = 'D:\BACKUP\FullDB.tmp'
GO

RESTORE DATABASE devREDe FROM DISK = 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\DB_DIFF.bak' WITH FILE = 1, RECOVERY
GO

It's bizar but the first day the diffirential backup is supposed to restore
on the test server (tuesday morning) I always end up w/ errors that it
couldn't restore the diff backup... I end up having to manually re-run the
full and diff backups on tuesday and then it runs fine for the rest of the
week untill next tuesday... do my commands look odd? or even my procedure?

btw, I do have a log backup that occurs during the day when the log hits
60%....

http://pcthis.blogspot.com |PC news with out the jargon!