[dba-SQLServer] BCP

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 9 20:41:41 CDT 2006

>You could also look at bcp to import your files, it should be faster.

These files come to me in a zip file (21 of them), unzipped they are each
exactly 9,706,055 bytes (just under 10 gigabytes).  Each contains exactly 3
million records.  Each record contains some 400+ fields, fixed width but
comma delimited.  The FIRST file has the header containing the field names
etc, but the remaining files do not.

Because of the size of the files, they are a pain to do anything with
programmatically (VBA etc).

BCP is a command line process correct?  I would love to do anything to speed
this up but basically the import wizard, while cumbersome to use over and
over, make it drop dead simple to get these imported.  IIRC BCP (which I
have never used) requires a format file?  Can I get SQL Server (EM?) to
create the format file for the table given the existing table (which I
have).  I sure don't want to