[dba-SQLServer] [AccessD] Transferring a databasetoanotherSQLServer

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Aug 28 07:33:45 CDT 2006

On 28 Aug 2006 at 8:16, JWColby wrote:

> This is a network in my home office.  Why do I need to turn Simple File
> Sharing off, and if I need to do that, how do I replace it's functionality?
>
> With Simple File Sharing OFF my workstations can no longer see each other
> and I get "no permission to use" error messages when trying to browse for
> shares in Explorer.
>
> Furthermore, with SFS off, the other machines do not show up when browsing
> in EM for other servers.

You need to turn "Simple File Sharing" off, not turn "File Sharing" off.

In yet another attempt to cater to the masses, MS introduced a new
simplified type of file sharing in XP as an alternative to the standard
file sharing that we have always used. They call this new system "Simple
File Sharing".    XP Home always uses Simple File Sharing.  XP Pro defaults
to Simple File Sharing if you are using a peer to peer network (no domain
controller).

If you are configured to use Simple File Sharing, remote users always
authenticate using the Guest account and you run into the sort or problem
you are facing.

To switch to classic file sharing,

1.	Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2.	On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3.	Click the View tab, and then de-select "Use Simple File Sharing"

Now you can set proper permissions on your resources and authenticate using
accounts with appropriate permissions.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/ for all the gory details

--
Stuart