[dba-SQLServer] Quest Sql Spotlight

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:27:42 CST 2006

We had a demo on the Sql Spotlight product last night and it left me with
some questions.  First, the product runs on my sql server, but if my server
where to bomb out... it couldn't alert me that it had died.  "IF" the system
is running tho and only sql server died it seems that the Spotlight on
Windows would alert me (or so I hope).  Altho it had a very startrek look to
it, I was not as impressed as it's really just a container for some "EM"
screens, and the task manager.  Log history is nicer tho, but just another
shell for what's available.  plus they wouldn't tell me the pricing until
after I test drive the product... I have a development server where we are
actively putting new products on, while we test applications so it might be
useful there but the calibration mode will be of little use there since
demand changes every few weeks.  Additionally there is no interface to
overview all your servers, you have to do it one at a time.  That makes
things tough.

I've asked before if anyone else uses these types of tools, but am hoping of
the spotlight users out there, how many of you are "truly" satisfied w/ this
product?

http://pcthis.blogspot.com |PC news with out the jargon!