[dba-SQLServer] Determine if a database is no longer in use?

Lavsa, Rich Rich_Lavsa at pghcorning.com
Mon Feb 20 13:08:19 CST 2006

 Hello all,

We have SQL Server 2000 sp3a running just to please some small off the
shelf solutions we purchased, and to develop some small in house
applications.  WE also let this SQL install open to all Administrators
as they should use this to log data if their application allows it to be
logged to a SQL Server database, such as Insight Manager.  Which is
where my problem begins.

For instance there are 2 databases set up on the server for Insight
Manager.  I know who installed them, however they do not remember if
they pointed the latest install to the SQL server.  So without confusing
him and making him figure out what he had done, or if the installations
on the server are valid or not I'd rather answer my own questions.  What
I want to do is delete them if they are not being used for anything.
Then once I clean this up, I want to lock the SQL server down so that
only I can create databases there, and if they need one built they need
to ask me first as I am responsible for this server.

Is there an easy way to determine if a database is no longer in use?

Rich