[dba-SQLServer] Yes/No in SQL Server

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Sun Jan 1 13:26:34 CST 2006

Just flags that something is true / false.  In Access there is a Boolean
datatype (T/F), which I couldn't find in SQL Server.

http://folding.stanford.edu/
-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Mark Rider
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:03 PM
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [dba-SQLServer] Yes/No in SQL Server

AFAIK, the bit is eiher 0 or 1.  USually 0 is False (NO) and 1 is True
(YES). I use bit values to determine if something needs to be changed or has
been changed - for example a Midified filed is set to "0"  at the outset and
then a bunch of calculations are done.  If the value returned by the
calculations has changed from the original value, I change the Modified
Field to "1" so that further changes to the value are ignored.

What are you trying to accomplish?

On 1/1/06, John Colby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:

> So what happens internally?  Does SQL Server pack/unpack as many y/n
> (boolean) values as will fit in an integer or something like that?
>

> John W. Colby
> www.ColbyConsulting.com
>
> Contribute your unused CPU cycles to a good cause:
> http://folding.stanford.edu/

Mark Rider
http://commonsensesecurity.info

Those who understand binary and those who don't.