[dba-SQLServer] Access Connection to SQL Server (was: Upsizewizard and named queries)

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Mon Jan 23 20:10:34 CST 2006

Hi Doris,

I did some looking and found this on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/
mdrefsqlprovspec.asp

It describes using a service provider called SQLOLEDB, and from what I can
read it does allow changing the Packet Size from the default of 4096 up to
32767.

Something like:

	Set CN = New ADODB.Connection
	CN.Provider = "SQLOLEDB"
	CN.Properties("Packet Size").Value = 32767

I think it should be possible to use this service provider when creating a
connection to SQL Server from an Access FE.  Although to use bound forms in
an Access FE and SQL Server BE you must use the service provider of
Microsoft.Access.OLEDB.10.0, which is unique to AccessConnection.

I wanted to find out if you have tried using SQLOLEDB as the service
provider, and if so what was your experience.

My plan is to use an Access .mdb FE and instantiate the connection when the
FE is opened.

And, if anyone else can add to this, please speak up!

Thanks!
Dan