[dba-SQLServer] ADOX help

Susan Harkins harkinsss at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 8 13:05:55 CST 2006

Here's what I'm trying to do and can't -- I want to append a column to an
existing table, using ADOX. The code seems unnecessarily complex, and it
doesn't work. :( I don't get an error, it just doesn't work. The FOR loop
just runs through the Columns collection after the append, to see if it
worked. It really isn't part of the failing technique, because that part
works fine. The connection is fine.

Susan H.

'Append column to existing table
'using ADOX.
Dim cat As ADOX.Catalog
Dim tbl As ADOX.Table
Dim tblName As ADOX.Table
Dim col As ADOX.Column
Dim con As ADODB.Connection
Dim strConnection As String
con = New ADODB.Connection
strConnection = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;" & _
"Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;" & _
"Initial Catalog = AdventureWorks;" & _
"Trusted_Connection=Yes"
Debug.Print(strConnection)
con.Open(strConnection)
cat = New ADOX.Catalog
cat.ActiveConnection = con
tblName = New ADOX.Table
tblName.Name = "Department"
'With tblName.Columns
' .Append("DepartmentHead", ADOX.DataTypeEnum.adChar)
' .Refresh()
'End With
col = New ADOX.Column
With col
.Name = "DepartmentHead"
.Type = ADOX.DataTypeEnum.adChar
.DefinedSize = 20
.Attributes = ADOX.ColumnAttributesEnum.adColNullable
End With
tblName.Columns.Append(col)
tblName.Columns.Refresh()
tblName.ParentCatalog = cat