[dba-SQLServer] ADOX help

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 9 12:54:01 CST 2006

There are limits on what can be done with ADOX with SQL Server as
opposed to Jet through OLEDB provider.
To get around these limits use a different tool SQL-DMO or the newer one
for SQL Express SQL-SMO

'This is what the Documentation says...

'Provider Support for ADOX
'Certain features of ADOX are unsupported, depending upon your OLE DB
data provider. ADOX is fully supported with the OLE DB Provider for
Microsoft Jet.
'The unsupported features with the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL
Server, the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC, or the Microsoft OLE DB
Provider for Oracle are listed below.
'ADOX is not supported by any other Microsoft OLE DB providers.

'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
'Object or Collection Usage Restriction

'Catalog object                 The Create method is not supported.
'Tables collection              Properties are read/write prior to
object creation, and read-only when referencing an existing object.
'Views collection              Views is not supported.
'Procedures collection      The Append and Delete methods are not supported.
'Procedure object            The Command property is not supported.
'Keys collection               The Append and Delete methods are not
supported.
'Users collection              Users is not supported.
'Groups collection           Groups is not supported.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.