[dba-SQLServer] Reporting Services Security

Darren DICK darrend at nimble.com.au
Tue Mar 28 18:24:40 CST 2006

Hi All

I am following the information in the book "Reporting Services in Action" - by
Teo Lachev
I am interested in the bit that gives users access to certain reports in a
'folder'
Chapter 8 Securing Reporting Services

The chapter tells the reader to create the individual User Groups and Users in
the OS
So...The Rep Services permissions for a user or a group (mostly) are given at
the OS level
In this case the OS is Small Business Server 2003 - This is where the Reporting
Services SQL dB is as well

So...I create user Groups via the OS and then create users via the OS and make
them members of that group
Then in reporting services I give users or groups access to a folder or report
as per Chapter 8

Then when I logon as that user or group, I see a blank (almost) web page -
IE I don't see either the folder or any of the Reports I have granted access to
for that user

I think the problem is at the OS Permissions level
The reason I think this is...
When I add a user and add them to the Administrators group for the OS
then logon to RepServices as that user - viola - I can see it all

If I then remove that user from the Administrator group and just leave them as a
member of the
group I just created for them - I see 'nothing' when I logon again a them

Any one come across this?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Darren