[dba-SQLServer] Carving out one table

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Nov 3 00:26:56 CST 2006

It took the system 56 minutes to carve just the address fields (and the PK)
out into a new table - 64 million records.  I have a second query running
right now to carve out the boating.  More fields.  I'm going to bed so I
will tell you the time to do this tomorrow.

I need to know how to run a query to add an index so that I can see the time
required to accomplish this.  I have been going in to table design to do
this and it "just goes away" and comes back when it is done.  I can't really
tell how long it takes.

Man am I going to learn SQL!  Alter table, add constraint, primary key...
And I need to find the syntax to make a field non-nullable.

Which brings up an interesting point.  These tables are being created with a
"PK" which is also an "FK", essentially it is a one to one child table to
the master address table.  I will probably eventually create the
relationships, though I am not sure whether they are truly necessary.  The
master table is never SUPPOSED to have records deleted.

Well, stuff for tomorrow.