[dba-SQLServer] Query Analyzer hogs machine

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Nov 26 12:22:09 CST 2006

Arthur,

There is only one index on each table, that being the PK itself.  The PK is
a long (4 byte).  The view is a join of a table with ~65 million records,
to another table with about 25 million records, PK to PK, pilling one PK out
to display.

As for sending you the entire thing, you must be joking.  The first table
consumes close to 100 gbytes inside of SQL Server.  The raw text came to me
on 21 4 gb DVDs, each of which contained a zipped text file which when
unzipped was roughly 10 gbytes.  The second table is being reconstructed
from 13 CSV files, each of which is about 400 mbytes unzipped.  The SQL
Server database file is about 120 gbytes at the moment.  I have never tried
to zip it but I can tell you it wouldn't fit on a dvd, nor will it upload to
my pitiful 3 gbytes of FTP space.