[dba-SQLServer] Saving stored procedures

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 3 15:32:40 CDT 2006

Hi Paul:

Thanks for the comments. The problem was occurring in my SQL 2000 and SQL
2005 versions and I was unaware of why I was getting errors on one system
and was being ignored on the other system.

It turns out that after a recent patch on the old system (SQL 2000) and a
subsequent import/upgrade attempt (SQL 2005) things started acting weird.

First only a couple of the SPs imported and when trying to add the missed
SPs they refused to save completely and/or would respond with the usual
innocuous MS error. I had run the checker before attempting a save and no
errors....

It turned out to be a legacy coding meets the new security. (Like a shampoo
salesman meets airport security.) On older SPs between each process group,
within the SP a 'GO' was added. This had always worked right before. The new
syntax does not need a 'GO' statement and a 'GO' statement is only required
or allowed as the last statement in a SP.

In SQL 2000 the app would just chop the SP at the 'GO' statement and the SQL
2005 would simply ignore what it assumes as an invalid SP.

The reason for this upgrade was to stop the threats from injection-attack
text compromising an otherwise valid SP.

The thing that most annoyed me was that all the SPs validated perfectly and
the systems either ignored the SP and did not allow it to save or responded
with some unintelligible error message before scrambling the SP. This is
another MS half baked fix.

Thanks again for your note at least it set me on the right path and some
sleep last night.

Jim