[dba-SQLServer] Where do I find

Bobby Heid bheid at sc.rr.com
Thu Dec 6 21:06:44 CST 2007

I found that here:
http://databases.aspfaq.com/schema-tutorials/schema-how-do-i-show-the-descri
ption-property-of-a-column.html

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: Bobby Heid [mailto:bheid at sc.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:06 PM
To: 'dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com'
Subject: RE: [dba-SQLServer] Where do I find

I found this little snippet that works in SQL 2005.  You should be able to
modify it for your purposes.  Note that the table I was searching on is
videos in the line:    AND OBJECT_NAME(c.object_id) = 'videos'

SELECT
    [Table Name] = OBJECT_NAME(c.object_id),
    [Column Name] = c.name,
    [Description] = ex.value
FROM
    sys.columns c
LEFT OUTER JOIN
    sys.extended_properties ex
ON
    ex.major_id = c.object_id
    AND ex.minor_id = c.column_id
    AND ex.name = 'MS_Description'
WHERE
    OBJECTPROPERTY(c.object_id, 'IsMsShipped')=0
    AND OBJECT_NAME(c.object_id) = 'videos'
ORDER
    BY OBJECT_NAME(c.object_id), c.column_id

Bobby